Beer of the Week (w/e 13th October 2019) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

W1
W1W 6DY
Phone: 02073079971

Pub Type

Castle (Mitchells & Butlers)

custodian 42 left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Basic one room corner pub with the bar to the rear. Three hand pumps - two weal ale and one reversed. Nothing special.

On 1st August 2018 - rating: 3

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Unbranded M&B (Castle) corner pub with an attractive facade. The inside has been remodelled to form a reverse question mark around the 'U'-shaped bar. Not much character left in the side lounge area but still a few interesting features such as the columns, tiling and moulded ceiling around the bar. Usually has quite a young crowd in. Number of handpumps increased to five since my previous visit, with four on this time and the regular Doom Bar and Pride supplemented by beers from Purity and Windsor & Eton.

On 10th May 2015 - rating: 6

Quinno _ left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Unwittingly popped back in here again last week and it wasn’t until I checked the next day realised I had done this one before eight long years ago. Since that visit, the place appears to have been lightened-up and knocked through more (bar relocation?) and is now a bit of a drinking canteen, with a large main front bar with a smaller more intimate rear area. The interesting moulded plasterwork ceiling remains and there is now an exposed brick back bar. High tables in the main bar room, quite long with unusual inlaid drawers (glued shut) underneath. High chairs to match but of a very high quality and possibly the only time I've sat like this and felt as comfy as sitting in a regular height chair. Semi-amusing 'Top Bun' burger menu advertised on a large blackboard. Large eye-catching photo painting of two young fillies in what looks like a country manor lounge (resolutely unexplained) which also appears to have been in situ in 2006, as I can see it peeking out from one of the old photos on this website. A change from 2006, as we’ve seen across much of central London, is an upswing in the amount of ale available. Five pumps with four ales, Cameron's, lkley Mary Jane, Pride and Doom Bar. My Camerons was in pretty good form but my enjoyment of it was tempered by the ludicrous expense, £4.20pp if rounded-up from the half. A good keg selection, including Camden Hells, also in situ (didn’t see Budvar Dark this time though). Given the barn-like nature of the place and the greedy mark-up on the ale, I can’t say I’d be making planned a return here despite the positives.

September 2006
A good place to try some continental fayre (with Budvar Dark on tap, mmmmm...) at reasonable prices for the area. Only one handpump (Tim Taylor's Landlord) though, but it tasted fine. Friendly barman as well. An imposing gin-palace style exterior hides the fright within - this place has clearly had some mad makeover when perhaps just enhancing some of the original features would have been enough. The inside does have some nice touches (the Deco doorway for instance), though I was less sure about the stuffed goats head that reminded me of Alanis Morrissette. I suspect that if the foreign beer was less prominent, I'd give this place a rather lower score. Rated 7.

On 28th May 2014 - rating: 6

Mark Davey left this review about Crown & Sceptre

A stripped out and modernised traditional boozer with lots of varied seating for the affluent pretty young things of Fitzrovia. We called in for a quick drink before proceeding to the Bonnie Gull for seafood. Ordered a couple of pints of Mary Jane and a couple of glasses of fiz and went to stand out on the pavement to get away from the girls at the bar who were talking dolphin at dangerous volumes. The pub has few soft furnishings and being pretty full, the volume was well up on the decibel levels. The beer was OK, if slightly cloudy, but was a better option than the mainstream UBU or Doombar. Sorry, too many rolled up jeans with stripey socks and loafers for me, won't be going back.

On 27th May 2014 - rating: 5

John Bonser left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Occupying a prominent street corner position on the fringes of Fitzrovia is The Crown and Sceptre, externally quite an attractive and imposing looking pub.

A number of doors, including one on the angle of the two streets that retains an impressive high glass surround, tells us that this was obviously a multi-roomed pub in its heyday. An impressive, high, black painted moulded ceiling and some Corinthian columns give us a feel for what was evidently a grand Victorian pub in days long gone, although, disappointingly, all the windows are now plain glass.

There's that usual mish mash of sofas, chairs and tables and different areas that one always seems to find nowadays in pubs that have been opened out and given a makeover, although the overall effect here is not as displeasing as is often the case. The bar servery is centrally situated and quite small for what is actually quite a large and spacious pub. There's some seats outside on both streets for sunny weather.

The pub seems to appeal to what I suppose are described nowadays as urban professionals. I gather that media types often pack the place out and there's a bit of a trendy, pretentious air about the place.

On my recent visit, beers on were London Pride, St Austell Tribute and UBU Purity. Notably, the price list shows London Pride as £ 1.50p for a half and £ 3.30p for a pint. Given previous comments, I am pleased - and somewhat surprised - to be able to report that the UBU Purity (£ 3.30p) was in good form. I didn't detect any problems with the staff either, although the pub website's description of them as being "the friendliest staff for miles around" is probably overstating the case somewhat and I'm never impressed when I see a cup on the bar counter specifically for tips.

This isn't really my type of place at all, but I did at least have a better experience than expected.

On 7th October 2010 - rating: 5

Steve of N21 left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Bit of a barn of a corner pub which I believe is in the M&B stable and certainly seems to have been given one of their DFS Furniture makeovers. As mentioned below, was presumably at some time a multi roomed pub, but is now knocked through, with a bar area at the front and a larger area mainly to seating for dining at the back. I can relate to the LLB analogy below and M&B probably spent a bucket of money on the modern style makeover trying to make it look like they spent £500.
It seemed to be mainly geared to the food menu , which I didn’t try, but there were three hand pumps on the bar which included Fullers Pride, St Austell tribute and one other I cannot remember.
The pub had a bit of a pretentious feel to it and this was certainly perpetuated by the bar staff, who begrudgingly attempted to provide a full pint after some initial outrageously short pulling of a pint.
Not really my sort of place, and if you are just after a pint, there are plenty of better offerings in close proximity IMHO. But there were plenty of people in on this early Saturday evening so it obviously does appeal to those who like their pubs to more resemble DFS show rooms.

On 11th July 2010 - rating: 5

Malden man left this review about Crown & Sceptre

A curious place this, clearly once an imposing street corner gin palace with several rooms, now it is all one space and has clearly been visited by that Laurence Llewelyn Bowen bloke from "Changing Rooms". The walls are what I'd describe as "Military Green" with lighter green leaves stencilled on, and the ceiling is matt black. A light shade appears to be made from antlers, and there is a goats head on the wall. There is some traditional seating but also the modern trend for low sofas, although here with standard height tables so I'm really not sure how that works! Four doors hint at the original multi room layout, at least the original (?) glass corner lobby has been retained. There is also an attractive tiled bar frieze/splash area around the central island bar, which has no central bar back, just a hanging empty picture frame.
Mainly a younger studenty set, plus a few older media types. A number of speakers on the walls suggest maybe a music venue but I didn't spot any adverts.
Pride, St Austell Tribute and Purity Pure Gold (£3.30) on at the time of my visit. Certainly not my type of place being more of a traditionalist but the beer was fine

On 4th February 2010 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about Crown & Sceptre

This is a large corner pub that has been knocked through at some point into one room and the décor seems like a few art students have been let loose with Lord Irvine’s cast-offs. The local student contingent seems to feel comfortable in here though as it was packed and was the busiest pub that I visited in the area on my midweek evening crawl.

Pride, Tribute and Ordinary were the three ale choices along with a premium draught selection and Guinness which was well served by a friendly barman.

This isn’t really my sort of pub, but that is my personal preference and I wouldn’t want to put people off visiting.

On 22nd January 2010 - rating: 6

Philip Carter left this review about Crown & Sceptre

Large pub with 3 real ale taps, none were on. Large windows to watch the world go by. Comfortable area at the back. Look for the wild boar's head eating an umberella.

On 8th January 2009 - rating: 6