In the Hop Garden with rpadam on the Pub Forum

W1
W1T 1HH

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 5 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Tris C left this review about The Black Horse

This was quite a popular small pub with us in the late '80s, not least because it was next to our office in Gresse Street, now demolished. Fairly traditional inside - certainly at the time - and dark with the bar and pot shelf on the left, carpeted, some Charrington's leaded stained glass and separate bar upstairs. Always used to get very smoky too.
Closed in 2010 and probably one of the better pubs in the area.

On 25th October 2017 - rating: 5

john mcgraw left this review about The Black Horse

This is a very depressing pub that should be a lot better seeing that it is in the heart of the west end.The Tim Taylor Landlord, which was served up by a barman who seemed to have great difficulty in speaking or understanding English was well below standard. I remember that around about 1980 I was told to leave this pub by a very rude landlord because it was past "drinking up time" and I vowed never to return. I did. It is still the same crap hole as it was then. I should have learned my lesson.MacArthur and Arnie were wrong, do not return!

On 23rd July 2010 - rating: 1
[User has posted 2043 recommendations about 2024 pubs]

Malden man left this review about The Black Horse

A long and deep narrow room, the bar in the front area has a couple of black horses on the top and an etched mirror on the bar back with the pub name, however this does not look original to me. The front area near the bar has wooden floors, a couple of those high tables plus some stools at a ledge facing the street. I liked the ornate ceiling, pink with white cornices and mouldings, and some gilded detail. The middle ceiling looks like an infilled rooflight to me, but I'm supposing. The front window has the pub name inscribed and has some green stained glass.
The rear area of the pub has more traditional seating, and is carpeted. There is a fireplace but it is now closed in.
Overall, not as much dark wood as in other Nicholson's I've visited and smaller too.
Beers were Timothy Taylor's Landlord plus Golden Best, Sharps Doom Bar, and Pride. One other pump had the clip reversed. There is another room upstairs but I didn't bother to take a look.

On 28th March 2010 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about The Black Horse

I liked it in here and found the barman/landlord to be very friendly.

Santa's Tipple, Landlord and Wadworth Henry's were all available along with Staropramen, Amstel and some standard lagers. The decent background music and good atmosphere will see me returning here when next in the area.

On 15th December 2008 - rating: 7

train man left this review about The Black Horse

Looked good on approach with original old wood windows, BUT, 4 pumps, just one in action - Pride. Lazy, lazy, lazy! We didn't stop.

On 26th October 2008 - no rating submitted

Rex Rattus left this review about The Black Horse

A Nicholson's pub. Nothing special, although I rather liked the gilded ceiling. Two pumps had clips turned round – only Pride on, but pretty good value at £2.60 a pint. Rather too many high stools and high tables for my liking. Another “OK” pub, that is good enough for a pint if you happen to be passing, but a better real ale selection would be a big plus.

On 25th October 2008 - rating: 5