Lockdown 2 with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Morecambe
LA4 5HX

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Will Larter left this review about The Morecambe Hotel

A more recent visit found just three beers on and no cider; all the beers were from Cross Bay this time, and all golden or blonde, though whether this was by luck or judgment I really don't know. The young woman who served us was very friendly and helpful, offering us a Camra discount and then remembering that, being Tuesday it was £1.60 a pint for Camra members, rather than 10% off the £2.80 to £3.20 normal price for a pint. Bargain!

There was a screen in the corner showing old Pathe newsreels of Morecambe, mostly of 1950s bathing beauty competitions (gorgeous girls and ugly judges: film star Terry-Thomas and a second rate comedian whose name escapes me) but more interestingly early 20th century holiday-makers and day-trippers all dressed up in fancy clothes, just walking along the promenade hoping to catch admiring glances from members of the opposite sex. Hundreds and hundreds of them, all having a really good time. And not one smart phone between them - how did they manage?

I think this pub has grown on me a little, though I may of course be talking through my pocket.

On 9th October 2017 - rating: 7

custodian 42 left this review about Morecambe Hotel

Pleasant enough place with six hand pumps, two off and one cider. The rest weak in strength.

On 12th July 2017 - rating: 5

Will Larter left this review about Morecambe Hotel

The Morecambe Hotel is an agglomeration of a number of buildings and it is not entirely clear which, if any, was the original hotel. A recent refurbishment has at least given a bit of cohesion to the interior, and more importantly, also added a range of hand pumps to the bar. To be honest, if it weren't for those I would have turned around and walked out, because the surroundings are just so much expensive tosh - a fake fireplace to the right on entry: what about a real fire? The staff, all attired like this is a posh hotel - oh, wait a minute, that's what it is! - were doing their best, but it's no good pretending it's a pub when most of the evidence says it's not.

Ok, back to the bar. Six hand pumps with four beers on at the time of my visit - which to be fair was out of season. Beers were varied in their origins, with only one from Cross Bay, the local brewery, the others being Purity, Ashover and Butcombe (respectively Warwickshire, Derbyshire and Somerset).

This made an interesting destination pub for me and my fellow Luton Town supporters on our recent trip to the seaside, but would I come here regularly if I lived in Morecambe? Hmm, not sure about that.

Date of visit: 19th November 2016