Yet another list with Blackthorn on the Pub Forum

The Station Inn, Carnforth

Low Sleights Road (B6255)
Ribblehead
Postal town: Carnforth
LA6 3AS

Rob Hunter left this review about The Station Inn

This pub is set with the rather splendid Ribblehead Viaduct as its backdrop and must be a welcome sight for the walkers that this area is popular with. As you enter via the front door the bar area is to the right with six hand pulls atop the bar, though three of those were off. Available was Ribblehead Bitter (Settle), 1875 (Tirril) and Riggwelter (Black Sheep). In fact, the Ribblehead Bitter seemed to go off at some point during my stay, but something on the same pump was being pulled through as I left. I went for the 1875 which set me back £2 for a half, which is a little on the expensive side though this is the only pub in the area so little in the way of competition and if you're thirsty you will pay. Hot drinks are also available, as is food.

The bar area was pretty full with all the tables occupied so I went for a wander through to the other side of the pub where there is an area with tables, leaflets for local attractions, books to read etc, then another area beyond this which looked more cosy, carpeted and has a fire (not in use yesterday).

Service was polite enough though not particularly friendly.

The sign above the gents boasts a "loo with a view" and indeed there is a clear window above the urinals with a view across the beer garden to the Ribblehead Viaduct.

Accommodation is available. Wi-Fi is available and the code is above the bar. As there is pretty much no phone signal in this area, I am sure this would be welcome to a lot of people. A shame that half the pump clips were turned round but perhaps they are only all on at weekend or in the height of summer when the place is likely to be busier.

On 21st June 2019 - rating: 7

Will Larter left this review about The Station Inn

Handy for the station, as the name implies, and also for the viaduct and walks in the three peaks area, this pub has provided me with the occasional pint or two over the years. Our recent visit found a new team in charge and a different approach, with six real ales on the bar. Initially a very welcome sight, on closer inspection this turned out to be a selection of six pale, blonde or golden beers, a kind of Hobson's Choice. To be fair, my pint of Cross Bay Nightfall went down a treat after our walk from Dentdale, and we also had time for a half of Kirkby Lonsdale Stanleys, which wasn't so good, before catching our train. Call me old fashioned, but I would like to see a pub like this serving a reliable well-known local beer such as Theakstons Best or Black Sheep Bitter, with two or three more experimental brews from microbreweries.

Date of above visit: 16th June 2016

A more recent visit found a slightly different selection, with Timothy Taylor Landlord, Black Sheep Golden, two beers from Kirkby Lonsdale and a house beer called Tet's Winter Ale 3.7%, which I was informed is brewed at Recoil Brewery. This Clitheroe brewery is the third that I have seen described as the successor to Copper Dragon (the others being Beer Monkeys and Grey Hawk); whatever, having satisfied myself that it wasn't Tetleys Bitter in disguise I gave it a go and it turned out to be an unspectacular golden ale, much like the others on offer on this occasion (too).

On 26th October 2017 - rating: 6

. Wittenden left this review about The Station Inn

Stone built Dales pub at the foot of the spectacular Ribblehead Viaduct (Batty Moss viaduct to its friends and family) in famous walking and train spotting country.The door opens into a public bar area, decorated with a number of clocks and railway memoriabilia. To the left, further areas which I think were laid up for dining.
The bar ,at right angles to the door, dividing the pub,offered four real ales on our October visit, while waiting for a train.I had a well kept pint of Wensleydale Session Bitter sitting in front of the open fire.
Dogs are welcome,and the pub is popular with walkers and those doing the Three Peaks, situated as it is at the foot of Whernside.An adjacent barn has been converted into a bunkhouse, and letting rooms and camping facilities are available. Our brief visit didn’t really do the pub justice, but it seems a classic.

On 22nd October 2014 - no rating submitted