pubs galore bar with Bucking Fastard on the Pub Forum

Reading
RG1 7XD

Page: 1 2 3

Danny O'Revey left this review about Nags Head

Tradional corner local with car park turned into outside drinking space. Nice choice of well kept beers

On 2nd November 2020 - rating: 8

Graham Coombs left this review about Nags Head

A 'must do' permanent beer exhibition with a huge range of excellent ales at great value prices. Read earlier reviews if you need to know more.

On 1st June 2018 - rating: 10

Ian Mapp left this review about Nags Head

Perfect example of how to run a pub - well worth seeking out. Outside the ring road and down a residential side street, they have done enough to make it worth the effort of a trip.

12 real ales on - they offer advice and testers. Pleasant boozy atmosphere, from the decor (loved the whisky tubes light fitting) to the games available. Proud of the Camra awards - a whole wall dedicated to the certificates.

2nd visit. I spent longer than expected due to being trapped by the first thunder storm of the summer.

West Berkshire Old Boy in good form tonight. They now do rolls as well as pies!

Visit blogged at http://bit.ly/2ueRF1J

On 20th July 2017 - rating: 9

Thuck Phat left this review about Nags Head

I won't be able to add much to this well reviewed hotspot so I won't try.
It was busy on our Friday evening visit but we managed to get seats and service was good throughout the evening. Good news given the amount of quality ale on offer.
Beers on were: WBB Maggs Magnificent Mild, Tap Stone Zen Garden, Hopcraft Grudge Match Round 2, New Dawn Fades and The Gallows Tree, Windsor and Eton Peppertree, Vocation Chop and Change, The Body of an American, Siren Craft Tidal Wave, Bad Seed White Stout, Mallinsons New World Pale and Tempest White Light. We must have pretty much done the card between us and all was pronounced excellent - until pronounciation proved too demanding. It's a very impressive range of ales and must be one of the best in the country in terms of both breadth and quality.
Tremendous.

On 4th August 2016 - rating: 10

Aqualung . left this review about Nags Head

I finally made it to one of the South's most famous pubs and was pleased to find that on an early Saturday afternoon it wasn't packed out. It's been described lots of times but it's a single square room with basic furniture that some people would probably call uncomfortable.
It was Cup Final day so I found a seat away from the TV screen. By chance this happened to be at the strong end of the row of twelve hand pumps which had beers from all over the place. I noticed Bristol Beer Factory 12 Apostles, Dark Star Hophead, a Brewster's beer, a joint venture with the Uprising brewery and two from a brewery called Five Towns. I went for these, Nowt (£3.40) and Secret Life Of Arabica (£4.80) both of which were excellent stouts. I could easily have stayed for a third but it was getting busy and doing so would probably have impeded further progress. This is a genuine no frills ale house and I loved it.

On 24th May 2016 - rating: 10

Quinno _ left this review about Nags Head

My favourite in Reading and one of the best in the South. 12 ales (always with a mild and stout, arranged in descending order of strength from left to right, with ‘now’ and next’ displayed on slates above the bar) served in good condition and £3.40 per pint unless there's a stonking abv one on. Tasters readily offered. 13+ ciders (the most popular of which are available at both chilled and room temperature) and a good selection of foreign bottled beers, including some lovely fruit Baccus ones as well as a couple of gluten-free beers. Keg San Miguel and Warsteiner are on for the lager-drinkers, as well as a couple of craft kegs from the likes of Siren, Wild Weather and Uprising. The other big selling point here are the staff, who are friendly and knowledgeable. The clientèle are quite a mixed bag, all ages and most persuasions present over the course of a week which means the atmosphere is always welcoming.

A Brewers Tudor exterior gives way to a relatively mundane open-plan interior that has been enlivened over the last few years by pump clips, bottles, book exchange, Reading FC memorabilia, piano and other nik-naks. Pub runs a bus to the Madejski on Reading home days, well-behaved away fans are welcomed (tickets available by the bar, home fans get first dibs). Dart board is in almost-constant use, look out for the 'live' TV games when the pub team are home. Food-wise there's a range of £2.50 rolls behind the bar along with hot pies at £3.50 (served all day) as well as Sylvia and Lolas 'Proper roasts' on Sundays. There’s a roaring log fire in the winter months that heats the place to the same temperature as an old folks home. A functional beer garden exists out the back, with wood burning stoves in the winter. Live music is an occasional feature (watch out for Gilby who tinkles the ivories of the upright piano some Sunday evenings) and a range of daily papers are available. There’s some pub games available atop the piano and there’s plenty of punter participation in pub organised frippery like Fantasy Football and Dead Pool.

I love this pub and you’ll find me in here quite often – high praise from a person who usually doesn’t stay anywhere beyond a pint!

On 3rd August 2015 - no rating submitted

Ian Mapp left this review about Nags Head

Found a Reading Pub Crawl on barcrawl.com and this took me out of the town centre into the back streets.

Glad it did - a real ale oasis. Lots of beers on, most of which I'd never heard off. Barman helped me make my decision by offering me tasters.

Decent pint was had. Their courtesy papers were read. If only they did food (other than £3 pies) I would have stopped longer.

Worth seeking out.

On 17th May 2015 - rating: 9

john mcgraw left this review about Nags Head

I have not been in many pubs in Reading but I would imagine this is one of the best.Up to 12 real ales + real ciders which are kept at the back. The real ales that I tried were in tip top form and at a reasonable price.This is a good basic local pub and a must visit when in Reading.

On 4th March 2015 - rating: 8
[User has posted 2044 recommendations about 2025 pubs]

john gray left this review about Nags Head

This is a drinkers pub.Few frills but lots of varied cask beers.I always find new beers here and often new breweries.Love the way they let you know what beer is coming next on each pump.Its a tickers dream.Tillingbourne-Extreme Amerillo was very good.

On 10th May 2014 - rating: 8

train man left this review about Nags Head

I had the misfortune to be here last week when, having cheered my team scoring in the Derby, I was immediately confronted and verbally abused by some mini-Hitler who had emerged from behind the bar to shout at me to SIT-DOWN! I say verbally abused but, incredibly, he went on to actually ‘offer me outside’ the next time I was in Reading!! What a charmer. Dear oh dear Nags; if you retain idiots like this then the slippery slope, whence you came, beckons.

On 4th April 2014 - no rating submitted