Pubs Old & New with sheffield hatter on the Pub Forum

Maidstone
ME14 2RJ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about The Flower Pot

This is situated at the North end of the old Sandling Road, I'm sure the new road just to the West was not there when I last visited Maidstone. My old Kent beer guides suggest it may have been a Truman's pub back in the day.
Inside it has two levels the rear upper level with the bar, bar stools plus a few tables and chairs and the lower level has some seating but is dominated by a pool table.
There is also a juke box on the wall which as I stayed for three pints was able to examine at length. Juke boxes aren't what they were, this one had seemingly thousands of albums including a Jethro Tull compilation with Aqualung on it which made my day. I soon realised that it was playing random tunes which included tracks by Alma Cogan, Pavarotti and Motorhead!
The bar had nine hand pumps with some beers coming on during my stay. I noticed Fyne Ales Hurricane Jack, Country Life Golden Pig & Reef Break, Oakham Citra, Dark Star APA, Goacher's Light, Saltaire Amaarillo Gold and Newby Wyke Kinston Topaz. I think all prices were £3.25 a pint reduced to £3.15 after showing the CAMRA membership card which the friendly landlady reminded me about. Another plus point is that they use lined glasses here. I tried the Hurricane Jack, Oakham Citra and Dark Star APA. The Hurricane Jack and Citra were superb but the Dark Star APA was a fresh barrel and may have needed a bit more pulling through, although I certainly wasn't prepared to complain about it.
My only two minor niggles were that the bar stools block the beer line up and I thought the pool table was overly dominant for such a small room. I liked this place a lot and would be surpised if it wasn't the premier real ale venue in Maidstone. It gets a strong nine from me.

On 4th May 2015 - rating: 9

E TA left this review about The Flower Pot

An Edwardian corner pub on the outskirts of Maidstone's central area, on what used to be the main Chatham road and now bypassed by the new traffic-losing system. The décor is basic, it consists of two bars with floorboards, is decorated with dried hops and a shed-load of well deserved awards for its beer and various assorted bric-a-brac. The pub is a GBG regular and quite rightly so. The staff were incredibly welcoming and offer try-before-you-buy on all draft beers. They also give a small discount to CAMRA members on production of a valid membership card. There were 8 ales on draft and 2 ciders on gravity feed – sadly I only had time for one pint, so I went for the Whitstable Native, which was absolutely perfect. They also did Snyder's jalapeño pretzel pieces, my favourite monosodium glutamate-based snack. It's a truly excellent, no frills (apart from the Snyder's, obviously) pub which should form part of any town crawl and is a must-visit for ale lovers. I shall return. Often.

On 7th October 2013 - rating: 9

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Flower Pot

A long time ago, this used to be my Friday lunch-time local with good, cheap food a short distance from the office. After a slow decline, this place was revived a few years ago and has won a number of local awards. Still has its original two-bar layout, the lower of which houses a pool table. Excellent selection of mostly local beers from seven of nine handpumps, including two from Goody Ales (including Good Sheppard (£3.35, with 10p discount for Camra members). Also has four draught for ciders. Well worth seeking out.

On 16th June 2013 - rating: 8

Steve C left this review about The Flower Pot

There is a pool table and seating area that is served by the end of the bar at the front of the Flower Pot. The main bar area is up a couple of steps at the rear where there is more seating. There is a limited draught range but the main draw, and why the pub was so busy on Friday afternoon, is the ale selection. Three of the hand pumps were unused during my visit, but the other six were drawing Cairngorm’s Howler, Salopian Brewery’s Oracle, Sunny Republic’s Hop Dog, Goacher’s Gold Star, Fyne Ales’ Hurricane Jack and Kent Brewery’s Pale. A pint costs around £3.25 and there is a 10p discount for CAMRA membership card holders.
There is a plasma screen that was turned off and I didn’t note any live sport advertisements, but there was some background music playing. This isn’t the biggest place so it doesn’t take many people to make it feel very busy. I will say that the service was very friendly, although I found a couple of the locals to be less than hospitable.

I think that I’d give this place another go if I had time to kill in while in the area.

On 18th March 2013 - rating: 7

Manky Badger left this review about The Flower Pot

For the ale selection alone this pub this pub would have scored 9/10.

BUT...

Because of the attitude of the barmaid, it gets 0/10
I would not go back to this place because of the attitude of the arrogant bar staff, and I would in all honesty advise everyone to give this place a miss.
If you want to be spoken down to by your inferiors, then this is the place to be.
Me - I shall take my money elsewhere