Pubs Galore crawls 2020 with rpadam on the Pub Forum

Maidstone
ME16 8BH

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The First & Last

Nice old pub, hidden away in the Fant backstreets. Some etched glazing (e.g. Saloon Bar, Private Bar, etc.) remains in the door panes, but the cramped interior has been opened out to form one irregularly-shaped (and still small) room. Quite a comfortable feel, and a friendly atmosphere. Darts and quiz nights. Boon Doggle and two Timothy Taylor beers - Boltmaker (£3.75) and Landlord - available from three of the four handpumps on this visit.

On 1st July 2018 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The First & Last

The First and Last is found in the backstreets of Maidstone West on an acute corner which gives the very cosy interior an odd shape. Despite the small size there is a dartboard to the left of the entrance in what was once a separate small public bar. The saloon bar to the right is now a seating area that is only slightly bigger than the public bar. Some background music was playing during my recent Wednesday afternoon visit when there was a good atmosphere created by the ten or so locals in attendance. There is a plasma screen tucked away at the rear of the pub which was turned off and as far as I know this pub does not show Sky Sports.
The bar is stocked with a standard draught selection and I counted three hand pumps. One of these was unused leaving Sharp’s Doom Bar and Timothy Taylor’s Landlord as the ale options. I didn’t see any food advertised.
This pub doesn’t open until 16:00 during the week and 14:00 at the weekends. A quiz was advertised for the following night (Thursday) at 20:30, but I’m not sure if this is a regular occurrence.

I found the service to be very friendly and if I lived locally I would use this pub often.

On 22nd May 2013 - rating: 7