Random news of the day with RealAleRobUK on the Pub Forum

St. Albans
AL1 1NQ

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Moby Duck left this review about The Peahen

I didn't like the look of this pub at all,more focused on dining than anything else. I too do not like Mc Mullens beers ,so I didn't stop for one.

On 28th July 2015 - rating: 5

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Peahen

In a prominent position ,this Mc Mullens tied house is focussed on food and has a largely open plan interior in a modern,rather souless style.The bar runs around one side of the interior ,while dining type tables in pine predominate.There is a small exterior beer terrace ,but I didn't detect much pub atmosphere.Two handpumps were drawing MuMullens Country and a seasonal "guest" badged as from The Whole Hop Brewery which is just another name for Macs brewhouse.
I wont be rushing back.

On 18th July 2015 - rating: 6
[User has posted 2021 recommendations about 2021 pubs]

john gray left this review about The Peahen

Nice modern pub with extensive garden at rear.2 McMullen beers County and Stout Herts which I found bland.Dont like McMullens beer much

On 28th February 2015 - rating: 7

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Peahen

Large modernised McMullens bar, irregular in shape, with various different seating areas. Substantial patio beer garden in courtyard to rear. Slightly anonymous atmosphere not really helped by the background jazz music. Two handpumps offering Country and the seasonal (£3.25).

On 3rd October 2011 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about The Peahen

The Peahen has a late license until midnight on Thursdays and 1am on Fridays and Saturdays which is why there is a bouncer working the door on these days. It was filling up very quickly during my early Saturday evening visit and when I walked past at about 21:30 a queue had formed outside and a ‘one in one out’ system was in operation. The management here must be raking in the money for Mcmullens as it is a very big pub to fill. In amongst the sea of standard draught taps I did spot two hand pumps that were drawing Mcmullen Cask Ale and Royal Wedding Ale. I plumped for the Guinness which was well served in a timely manor considering the queue at the bar. Food is available from around the £9 mark, but I didn’t eat or see anyone else doing so. There is a courtyard out the back that I think is mainly used by smokers.

I suppose that I would have no problem returning here if passing, but there are better pubs in the local area.

On 16th May 2011 - rating: 6

Steve of N21 left this review about The Peahen

Large Corner pub with a commanding position on the London Road traffic light junction in the middle of St Albans. It's a McMullens house which has undergone one of the modern light wood décor makeovers which many McMullen pubs have fallen foul of. But this one works better than most with plenty of seating areas either end of a large standing area in front of the main bar. Quite lively on the early Friday evening of my visit, two McMullen ales on which were perfectly fine, and no problems encountered with service as there several uniformed bar staff in action. There was also door staff in operation checking ages, I think for over 21, but as it is a long time since that sort of thing affected me cannot confirm exactly.
Found it a decent enough place to meet up and have a few beers before moving on, but not enough character or soul to motivate me to spend an entire evening here.

On 22nd January 2010 - rating: 6