Random news of the day with rpadam on the Pub Forum

The Swan at Hay, Hereford

Church Street
Hay-On-Wye
Postal town: Hereford
HR3 5DQ

Reviews Add Review see review guidelines

Soup Dragon left this review about The Swan At Hay

Large Georgain styled stone facade, it is in fact a hotel, with a 'Bistro' door (behind the blue van), which is in fact locked, so you have to go through the main door, to the reception and ask!

I was funnelled along a corridor into the Bistro's back room, the Bistro wasn't open and there was nobody behind the bar, so the bloke at reception had to serve me and clear off back. The bar room i found myself in had a pool table and old style jukebox, with wood stall seating. The decor was red. There was a bit of background music to keep me entertained, along with a few old cartoon/caricatures on the walls. Serve was hurried and had i wanted another, i guess i could have poured it myself and not paid, or gone back to reception. There was no other clientele.

Beer; usual tap stuff with Wye Valley Butty Bach and Dorothy Goodbody - which was fine.

I just felt like i was on the moon - if i died there, would i have been discovered by Christmas? There is nothing wrong with the place and it may simply have been because it was in the day - yet the Kilverts was rammed. What a waste really.

On 11th October 2009 - no rating submitted