Disappointment of the week with Tris39 on the Pub Forum

Gungarden
Rye
TN31 7HH

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Ypres Castle Inn

A traditional style pub with low ceilings, boarded floors and a quarry tiled floor at the rear and cream painted walls. The bar area had a display of hops along the pot shelf and there were six handpumps, with five in use. We went for the Three Legs IPA and the Rother Valley Level Best, both of which were in excellent condition. The pub looked to be food led, with bookings for tables over the phone as we ordered our beers. The manager was friendly and chatty and told us that Paul McCartney used to pop in on a Sunday for lunch and that his daughter Heather McCartney still frequents the pub, as she lives nearby.

On 13th November 2019 - rating: 7

. Wittenden left this review about The Ypres Castle Inn

A weather- boarded pub on the terraced slopes of Rye Citadel below the eponymous Castle.My previous visits were back in the seventies and eighties,when it sold Fremlins and boasted a parrot and a grumpy Landlord. Since late last year,it has been under the ownership of Jeffrey Bell, aka 'Stonch', the original Beer Blogger.
On our visit at lunchtime on a grey March Saturday we found a pub busy with drinkers and diners, and a good number of dogs, including our own.My memory for interior decoration isn't perfect,but it looks as if it has had a tasteful lick of paint since John Bonser's visit.We sat in a little side room behind the bar,decorated with local views.
On the bar were 6 hand pumps, two selling Kent Ciders.Of the cask beers,all from Kent or Sussex,we enjoyed an excellent Black Pale Ale from Rother Valley and a moreish hop forward session pale from Old Dairy.Craft keg beers are also offered,together with artisanal gins and whiskies.The meals, equally seemed to favour local sourcing-scallops were on the specials list- and were competitively priced for the location.
The grim weather attracted few customers into the impressive gardens, with views over the lower reaches of the town and across the marshes:however on a sunny day they would be packed.Yes,good pub.

On 11th March 2018 - no rating submitted

John Bonser left this review about The Ypres Castle Inn

In the historic town of Rye, virtually next door to the ancient monument of Ypres Tower – “Gun Garden” is part of the pub’s official address – is The Ypres Castle Inn, a pub which advertises its attractions as “Real Ales, Great Food, Proper Coffee, Good Company”, of which, following my recent April visit, I can confirm the quality of the first of these.

Along a path and down a few steps from the tower, the Ypres Castle Inn ( known locally as The Wipers ) features a Kentish style weatherboarded frontage which leads into a single bar pub that has evidently been recently refurbished in the usual contemporary light and airy style, dominated by a rather unattractive nasty lightish blue colour scheme, which includes the window ledges and bar counter. There’s a rather cold and clinical feel to the pub that one often encounters nowadays and which in my view is totally inappropriate for a pub in an ancient historic town such as Rye. Candles in glass vases would suggest a food emphasis, but this was not apparent on my visit. A room round the back of the bar has several old photos of the pub in earlier days when it was owned by Leveys of Dover and then, later, Whitbread, but it’s a rather dull and uninteresting interior.

The pub’s principal asset is its outside garden, which affords fine views of Romney Marshes, and the “salts” by the River Rother, which the pub overlooks. This is apparently the only decent pub garden in Rye and is well patronised by staff from local businesses in summer time. On my visit, an overcast day with a bracing fresh wind meant that the garden was deserted and, inside, there was two people, including myself.

Live music features on Friday and Sunday nights and several posters told me that a band called Cushty were appearing on the forthcoming Friday at 9.30pm ( dinner hours were 6-8 pm )

Beers on were Harveys ( is there a pub in Sussex that doesn’t do Harveys ?) , Adnams, Longman, Larkins and Old Dairy. The Longmans Blonde - £ 3.60p – was pretty good.

The friendly landlord, who had initially seemed a bit disconcerted to see someone walk into his pub at around 4pm, told me ( well there was no one else to tell ) that he had taken over the reins as recently as January and was still very much finding his feet on all aspects of the business.

Rye has a number of pubs that seem worth exploring, but time was not on my side. Next time in Rye, I’d probably only do this one again if it was a decent sunny day

On 11th May 2014 - rating: 6

Manky Badger left this review about The Ypres Castle Inn

The place didn't seem anywhere near as busy as you'd expect it to be on bonfire parade night. Which probably speaks volumes. I'll put the place back to 6/10 (until I'm personally insulted by the landlord)

On 15th November 2009 - rating: 6

Steve C left this review about The Ypres Castle Inn

My first impressions of this place were all good as the pub is in a great setting on a hillside at the foot of a castle with some nice views from the outside seating in the decked area and the large beer garden. The barmaid was extremely friendly and chatty and the Pride and Landlord were very good. Harvey's Best and ESB were also available alongside Fosters, Kronenburg, Becks, Guinness and Bushells Kentish Cider. The only small gripes that I could have had were that the radio was playing instead of some background music and there was a really drunk girl in the pub, but she seemed to be friends with the barmaid and the lad with her was very apologetic and I've seen far worse.

Unfortunately at 18:00 it was all change at the Ypres as the barmaid and her friends left and the governor came in with an older barmaid. The governor's first task of the day was to ask the wife and me if we were eating as we were sitting at the back of the pub which was classed as the dining area. We were going to eat so he said we wouldn't have to move to the front of the pub, which we thought a little strange as we were the only people in the entire building. I could continue rambling on about the food so to cut a long story short both of our dishes were ok, but we felt extremely rushed to order and finish up.

There is a room with a plasma screen and some tables and chairs behind the bar and there is also a dartboard in the main bar, but I'm not sure that it is playable due to the bench along the side of the wall encroaching onto the oche. The barmaid also informed me that there is live music every Friday night from 21:00, but we left well before this so I cannot comment.

There is a lunch service from 12:00 until 15:00 which includes a reduced rate children's menu. The dinner service starts at 18:00 and finishes at 22:00 every night except Fridays when it is 21:00 due to the live music I mentioned earlier. Very young children are not permitted to dine during the dinner service.

I felt that the governor was quite unwelcoming and ruined the relaxed atmosphere which was a real shame as we didn't go back to this lovely pub during our stay in Rye.

On 27th March 2009 - rating: 6