Disappointment of the week with Wittenden on the Pub Forum

Rye
TN31 7LH

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The Queens Head

I visited the Queens Head late on Tuesday evening last week when the pub was very quiet, except for a quintet of banjo strummers who were sat in the left hand bar. At the rear of this bar is a dining area and access to a backyard where there is some covered and uncovered seating. After being directed to the toilets by the polite barman I found myself in the right hand bar where there were a couple of blokes playing pool whilst the jukebox played some low background music. The two bars are separate enough to avoid a conflict of sound.
The bar supports four hand pumps that were drawing Franklins’ Mama Knows Best and English Garden alongside Long Man Brewery’s APA and Morland’s Old Speckled Hen. The draught selection is pretty limited with Fosters, Kronenburg and Murphy’s Stout being available alongside Strongbow original (apple) and their new pear cider. The kitchen was closed during my visit, but I noted that the mains are priced around the £8.50 mark.

This pub doesn’t open until noon every day, but there is a late license until midnight on Fridays and Saturdays.

On 17th April 2013 - rating: 7

Old Blue left this review about Queens Head Hotel

A decent sized, double fronted pub which on our Saturday evening visit had a live band on in one side, which I took to have been the public bar, and the other side had several snugger areas with a pool table in one and a bar billiards table towards the rear of the pub next to the door to the courtyard/smoking area. Probably the best ale house in town, there are four hand pulls with changing, locally sourced ales. I had very good pints of Old Dairy Copper Top and Rother Valley’s delicious Chocolate Porter. I understand FILO and Dark Star beers also feature quite a bit here.

Alas this review is quite deficient due to being preoccupied with the bar billiards table which we were delighted to find here. The music wasn’t really to our taste on our visit, and I’d certainly like to come here on a different night. It seemed a friendly place and had very good beer.

On 12th March 2012 - rating: 7