Pubco. mergers. with hondo on the Pub Forum

98 High Street
Rye
TN31 7JT

Steve C left this review about The George

The George is on the High street where it found in the left hand side of a large building it shares with the George Grill. The two are separate but a large table at the end of the bar is designed for diners so there is a bit of an overlap. As I Walked in through the main high street entrance past the front seating area and climbed the steps to the bar area I thought that I was entering a hotel. I was happy to find a bar to the left and even happier when I saw the four hand pumps that were drawing Harvey’s best, Long Man Brewery’s APA, Dark Star’s Pale Ale and Old Dairy Brewery’s Blue Top, which was very good. There is also a standard draught selection alongside Hoegarden and Leffe.
The atmosphere was very subdued with some quiet discussion and the buzzing of the fridges behind the bar. The barman was very polite, but distant and I left feeling that it felt like a hotel bar.
I returned here later the same night when I was looking for the George Tap on Lion Street to discover that there is another entrance to this same bar. The Long Man APA had been changed to Old Man so I decided to stop for another beer which was equally as good as my pint earlier in the evening.

I wouldn’t rush back here if I was on my own, but if I was with a mate or two it would be a venue of choice for a good old chinwag over a few well-kept beers.

On 14th April 2013 - rating: 7

Old Blue left this review about George Hotel

The George is quite an imposing establishment in the centre of town, which from its outside presentation looks like it’s supplementing its hotel business by trying to be a grill rather than a pub these days. We therefore crossed the threshold prepared for disappointment, but were pleasantly surprised at how well balanced and comfortable it was. An old coaching inn, despite being heavily modernised it retains a lot of charm, and although there are separate areas designated the ‘Grill’ and the ‘Tap’ it had a sort of casual yet efficient, welcoming feel throughout.

There were four ale pumps at the bar alongside the usual other selections, offering Harvey’s, Old Dairy Blue Top, Dark Star American Pale Ale, and Abigale Brewery’s Samphire bitter. We propped ourselves comfortably on two bar stools, and I had very decent pints of the last two of these whilst we pondered whether and if so what to eat. Lots of things on the menu looked very enticing, though the way it was laid out made it very difficult to work out what would be suitable to fill one up as a main meal rather than a starter. The staff were very helpful and honest about the menu and portions, and we ended up sharing three of the smaller plates between the two of us instead of full main courses, all of which were delicious and they filled us up well.

Sticklers for tradition and gastropub-haters might not find this place to their liking, but we had a really good time here – very good ales, helpful and attentive service, excellent food, great atmosphere. I’d certainly come back here if in the area again.

On 12th March 2012 - rating: 8