Random news of the day with london calling on the Pub Forum

Cinque Ports, Rye

30 Cinque Ports Street
Rye
TN31 7AN

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 1 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about Cinque Ports Hotel

I popped in here last Saturday to watch the England v Scotland Six Nations game and ended up leaving before half time as the pub was rubbish. There was a plasma TV on a table in the corner of the pub making it very difficult to see even though there were only about ten other people in when we left. I thought that I heard a racist comment about one of our England players, but I dismissed it as hearing things. It was only when Ugo Monye ran in our first try and one of the locals shouted out at the top of his voice “come on you fantastic nigger” that I started to really regret choosing this pub. It's not the comment that made this pub get such a low rating from me, but the lack of any action from the staff.

Anyway, this is a Shepherd Neame public house and Spitfire and Master brew were the ale offerings alongside the usual limited SN draught selection. The furniture was sparse leading me to believe that this place is more of a music venue in the evenings and there were signs up advertising live music every Saturday and most Sundays. There is a decked balcony area out the back door that overlooks a paved beer garden and an old stable that has a few tables and chairs in it along with some rubbish bins, broken furniture and a wheelbarrow.

The dartboard around the side of the bar is nicely laid out; it's just a shame that it was being used by a dick that thought nothing of swearing and hurling racist comments in a pub that was being frequented by woman and young children in a nice seaside town on a sunny spring afternoon.

On 26th March 2009 - rating: 1