One for the Londoners here - Are Antic in trouble ? with Wittenden on the Pub Forum

The Independent, Brighton

95 Queens Park Road
Brighton
BN2 0GH

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

paulof horsham left this review about The Independent

On my visit, The Independent had the relaxed vibe of a trendy neighbourhood local - I guess that sums up more than a few Brighton suburbs and their pubs. The bar featured 4 cask and 12 keg options all local, except for the Hacker-Pschorr. I opted for a pint of Loud Shirt Hypnosis Pale from the cask range, but this was somewhat so-so. I could have chosen from the likes of Gun, Burning Sky & Good Things.

Not a big crowd in when I was there, but a few were taking a late lunch.

I'd be happy to pop in again.

On 4th November 2019 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Walmer Castle

The Walmer Castle comprises a room with a bar and a split level seating area at the rear. The décor is minimal and as this isn’t the biggest place wall seating is utilised to create more space around the tables. Two of the four hand pumps were unused leaving Badger Best and Pickled Partridge as the ale options in this Hall and Woodhouse pub. The draught available was HB Extra Cold, Kronenburg, Carling and Guinness and food is served with the mains coming in at around the £9 mark. My visit was just before 22:55 on a recent Tuesday night and the governor didn’t look very impressed to see me walk through the door. Whilst the barmaid was serving me he instructed her to ring the bell for last orders and the background music was turned off. I didn’t feel very comfortable drinking my half of Badger, but when I left at 23:05 he seemed to perk up a little and offered me a farewell. It was all a bit ‘slosh it back, time to go this isn’t a bloody hotel’.

The locals all seemed friendly, but I didn’t feel at all comfortable in here and I would be reluctant to return.

On 3rd January 2012 - rating: 4

amy d left this review about The Walmer Castle

The Walmer Castle has now been taken over. Has a brilliant new look.
They are open Monday - Friday from 5pm. Open all day Saturday & Sunday from 12.
They Offer an authentic range of Thai food from the Thai @ Night from 6pm - 10pm Monday - Saturday.
They have Saturday Brunch from 12-4.
Last but not least, Sunday's chill out with Dj's & live music and of course Roasts! Definitely one not to be missed!
Great pub, Great food, Great atmosphere, Great Staff! What more could one ask for.

On 12th January 2010 - rating: 10