Random news of the day with Mobyduck on the Pub Forum

Brighton
BN1 2EF

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Regency Tavern

Historic alleyway pub, dating from about 1700, and now owned by Shepherd Neame. The plush interior features dark red furniture and decor with various ornate features around the 'L'-shaped bar and side room. Also has a tiny stage that could just about accommodate a singer with a guitar. Three of four handpumps in use, offering Master Brew, Spitfire Gold (£4.60) and Bishops Finger.

On 21st July 2018 - rating: 7

Steve C left this review about The Regency Tavern

I wandered into the Regency Tavern on Sunday night after a nice meal in the Coal Shed (Previously the Full Moon) up the road. I’m not the biggest fan of Shepherd Neame beers, but I had my first taste of their Christmas Ale which I thought was very good. There are another five hand pumps that were drawing Spitfire (x3) Master Brew and the last was unused. The usual Shep draught including Oranjeboom and Asahi are also available and reasonably priced food is served at lunchtimes and early evenings during the week, 11:00 until 18:00 on Saturdays and from midday until 17:00 on Sundays. The usual opening hours are adhered to except for an hour extension on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and half an hour on Sundays. I had to wait a while at the bar whilst the manager/governor faffed about, but he was very friendly when I was finally served.
The management have gone for regal décor with red and gold wallpaper and gold furnishings. There is some leopard print material in amongst the red soft furnishings and a baby grand piano takes centre stage. There is a resident pianist, five piece jazz band, jazz duo and advertised cabaret nights. This pub is different, but I thought that it aired on the side of tacky rather than regal. Maybe it was the baubles hanging from the golden cherub’s groin area.

It was quiet during my visit so I didn’t get the atmosphere that is present when live music is played, but I’m not a fan of jazz music and I do not have a love for cabaret. This place really isn’t my cup of tea and I do not plan to revisit in the near future.

On 20th December 2011 - rating: 5