Disappointment of the week with hondo on the Pub Forum

Brighton
BN1 3PB

Page: 1 2 3

Delboy 20 left this review about The Evening Star

Great little pub run by the Dark Star brewery with an excellent choice of their own beers plus some interesting guests. We tried Dark star APA and Revelation. Both were excellent. Handy for the train station and much better than the pubs closer to it! I would definitely call again.

On 30th September 2019 - no rating submitted

john gray left this review about The Evening Star

Been here a few times over the years and cant say the interior does anything for me.I come for the beer.Good Wilde Child -patriot games.Like the look of the pub from outside.

On 14th April 2018 - no rating submitted

Tris C left this review about The Evening Star

Dating back to at least the mid-19th century, this is a rather well turned out backstreet pub, of which there are many in the city and clearly a Mecca for ale drinkers, despite the obvious contradiction. It’s quite an industrial place with a hipster vibe: bare boards, bare brick, bulkhead lamps, exposed metal trunking and solid wood furniture.
It’s the beer that’s the star here – literally – and as expected, my half of Darkstar’s Hophead was very nice indeed. Everyone else must have been enjoying theirs too as there was much cheer about the place.
Unfortunately, I’m more of a horse brasses, Toby jugs and Yard of Ale over the bar sort-of person but am happy to go along with the majority as they made it a great last group pub for the evening.

On 1st April 2018 - rating: 8

Real Ale Ray left this review about The Evening Star

A traditional style pub with good atmosphere and a good range of some excellent beers. The pub was open plan and I especially liked the curved bar counter and pine clad booths over on the left hand side. My Dark Star APA was in great shape and if I hadn't a train to catch, I would have liked to have tried the Gun IPA and the Kissingate Black Cherry Mild. Looking forward to another visit.

On 31st March 2018 - rating: 9

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Evening Star

Fully justifies its reputation as a beer-drinkers destination pub which people travel miles to visit, and - as quite a compact side-street pub - this means it can get very crowded. The interior is pleasingly traditional, with the curved counter in one corner. Further seating is available out front on wooden benches. Although the brewery has long-since moved to larger premises elsewhere, there are normally four Dark Star beers available (including an excellent American Brown on this visit) plus three guests from smaller Sussex breweries. First class, and much to my surprise it turns out to be my first revisit for nine years, but I'll certainly be back.

On 31st March 2018 - rating: 9

Bucking Fastard left this review about The Evening Star

Always likely to be the first or last pub on a real ale crawl around Brighton,the latter was the case on my visit when the advertised 11.30am Friday opening time did not materialise,...thanks What Pub !
It's quite small with a wooden floor,a mix of seating around the periphery and room for vertical drinking.Noisy when busy.
There is a lot of craft keg options,three real ciders/perry and 7 handpumps drawing on my visit Dark Star Hophead,Hophead Loral,American Brown,American Pale Ale with guests Gun IPA,Wild Child Patriot Games and Kissingate Black Cherry Mild,a most interesting selection.My tastebuds may have been shot at the end of a crawl but my Hophead Loral and APA didn't quite hit the mark,but I really must devote time here next time to get a better overall impression,possibly at a quieter time.

On 25th March 2018 - rating: 8
[User has posted 2019 recommendations about 2019 pubs]

hondo . left this review about The Evening Star

4 dark star beers,3 guests,2 ciders and 5 "craft keg" on during my visit. All drink available to take away.

On 15th October 2015 - no rating submitted

Aqualung . left this review about The Evening Star

The trouble with this former Courage pub is that it is just too small and busy. I had been here once before getting on for 20 years ago and it was the same then on an early Saturday Evening, completely rammed. I wish pubs like this would not provide bar stools as it just makes life difficult to get served.
On the beer front there were four Dark Star beers (Hophead, American Pale, Winter Meltdown and Coconut Porter). The three guests were Brodie's London Fields Pale and Bethnal Green Bitter plus Arbor Citra. There were a few keykeg options as well.
Having got rather grumpy about the boring brown beers in the previous pub, I couldn't have asked for anything more left field than a Coconut Porter (£3.60) so I tried it. Does it work? I'm not sure, I would have to try it several times before forming a conclusive opinion. As would be expected it was in superb nick.

On 15th December 2013 - rating: 7

Steve of N21 left this review about The Evening Star

One of the first in at lunchtime so managed to get a seat by the window, purely to sit down mind and nothing to do with monitoring the traffic into the adult shop over the road. Although I have to report footfall was a bit thin at that time of day.
Back to the pub and good range of beers as usual including several interesting guests including a mild from the Brodies brewery. But didn’t look any further than the four Dark Star pumps to the fore and the couple I tried were in tip top condition.

On 21st June 2013 - rating: 9

Moby Duck left this review about The Evening Star

Some of the best beer to be had in Brighton here and is always a must visit pub. Plenty of top Quality Darkstar beers plus good quality guests. A good mix of clientel but can be a bit on the studenty side of things at times.All things considerd though this is a first rate pub.

On 16th April 2013 - rating: 8