Beer of the Week (w/e 19th January 2020) with Thuck Phat on the Pub Forum

Bath
BA1 2LY

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 7 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Blackthorn _ left this review about Marlborough Tavern

Quite when an establishment crosses the line between gastro-pub and restaurant I’m not sure, but this place must be perilously close to the latter. On a recent Saturday evening visit, every single table was reserved for diners, so if you just wanted a beer your only option was to sit at the bar or go outside in to the attractive courtyard. That said, it may well of course be different at other times. It’s a little walk from the city centre, but in a pleasant spot just around the corner from the Royal Crescent and opposite the golf course.

Now that I’ve set the scene, I shall just add that it was decked out in fairly typical gastro-pub fashion, with reclaimed wooden boards on the floor, green painted wooden panels on the lower half of the walls with white plasterwork above, candles on all the tables and various artwork on the walls, much of it for sale. You get the picture I’m sure. Staff all seemed friendly and helpful.

We were looking to eat, but hadn’t reserved a table (it is a pub after all). However, as we were quite early, they managed to fit us in with the proviso that we were finished by 8:30 which was fair enough. Food was very good and we enjoyed what we had, but it’s clearly not your usual “pub grub”. With most of the starters being around £7.50 and main courses £15 or so, the bill soon adds up. But if that’s what you’re after, I’d recommend it.

Beers on tap were Butcombe and Brakespears. There was also a pump for Timothy Taylor Landlord, although this appeared to have run out. The solitary cider was Addlestones.

On 13th June 2011 - rating: 7