Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Jim Newell
Submitted on Monday, 20th June 2011
With picture contributions to 5147 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (1 more image)
Reviews of Poppy and Pint (Average Rating: 8 of 10) see review guidelines
Alex Conway left this review about Poppy and Pint
The poppy and pint is situated in the upmarket suburb of lady by close to West Bridge ford in a former British legion club. This pub follows the classic Castle rock formula of a great choice of reasonably priced beer in nice surroundings. This is slightly different to most of their pus being a former club and has a lot of similarities with the Willowbrook pub in Gedling, too a former working man’s club. Upon entering the bar is to the right and stretches along most of the pubs front wall. The pub is mostly hard wood throughout with some raised areas and the odd screen dotted around but only showing major events. There is also a nice outside patio drinking area with large tables that is great for soaking up the sun. There are many hand pulls on the bar as well as some expensive fizzy craft beers such as Wild River by Fullers for £4.50 a pint! Due to its location this is the most expensive Castle rock outlet as the people who live around are not short of a few quid but still on average with other comparable pubs so nothing too outrageous. There were a good few castle rock beers on the 12 hand pulls as you would expect with as Black gold (£2.90) Preservation (£3.10) harvest pale and Screech owl being noted and Guests Including London Pride (£3.40) and as well as local offerings from Lincoln Green and Magpie. The Black gold while being 30p more than usual for a Castle rock outlet was superb and a lovely pint and still competitively priced. A great pub to seek out to find a great choice of well-kept beers in a nice surrounding. It isn’t the most cosy of places due to its size and layout and can feel a bit airy and lacking in atmosphere when not busy but this is due to the nature of the building and Castle rock have done a nice job regardless. The Willowbrook suffers from the same problem but I think this wins overall, well worth a visit.
On 18th November 2016
- rating: 8
[User has posted 305 recommendations about 305 pubs]
Gill Smith left this review about Poppy and Pint
Enjoyed our visit yesterday with a great selection of Castle Rock beers plus guests. It is also a cafe bar, and is large enough inside with area to suit everyone. Function room, folk night and a well looked after bowling green outside so serves the community well. Friendly staff keeping good ales.
On 11th September 2016
- rating: 8
[User has posted 936 recommendations about 875 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Real Ale Ray left this review about Poppy and Pint
About a ten minute walk after visiting the Stratford Haven. Had a detailed map drawn courtesy of the local postie at the Stratford, so didn't get lost finding our way. The pub has a large interior and was formerly a British Legion Club. 12 ales on offer, I went for the Lincoln Green Camraderie and Fullers Traitors Gate, both were excellent.
On 3rd December 2012
- rating: 8
[User has posted 2005 recommendations about 2005 pubs]
View more reviews of Poppy and Pint (5)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Poppy and Pint pages at the Castle Rock Brewery site - www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Beer Festivals : No last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Beer Garden : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- CAMRA Discount : Yes - 5% - last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Car Park : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Child Friendly : Yes - Until 9 p.m. in separate room - last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Function Room : Yes - According to Facebook page - last updated 21 July 2015 by Dave McNally
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Live Music : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Live TV Sports : No last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- Wheelchair Access : Yes last updated 21 July 2014 by ROB Camra
- WiFi : Yes last updated 11 September 2016 by Gill Smith
Last inspected: January 25th 2017