Chat about -
BBC2: Alexis Polizzi 'The Fixer' and Hunter's Microbrewery. with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Graham Mason
Submitted on Thursday, 14th April 2011

Thorins

Pub added by Pub SignMan
9 Nevill Street
Tunbridge Wells
TN2 5RU
Local Transport show 7 more transport points

hover over arrow to see distance from pub, click on arrow to find out more about stop

Bus Stop(, ) Chapel Place

Reviews of Thorins (Average Rating: 4 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about Thorins

Upstairs at Thorins is a restaurant with a bar and a downstairs bar area that was closed during my recent Monday afternoon visit. The bar supports two hand pumps and there is a limited standard draught selection alongside the Czech lager Kozel. Food is obviously available and the mains start at around £10.50 which is a lot more than the pubs of the area. There is a plasma Screen on top of a piano in the corner of the restaurant, but there is no Sky Sports so maybe it was set up for the rugby on ITV.

My trip to Thorins turned into a bit of a fiasco as the barmaid tried to pour me a pint. Harveys Best and Doom Bar were available from the two hand pumps so I plumped for the Doom Bar which she said needed to be pulled through. After a couple of minutes I was handed a murky pint which I declined to take and changed my drink choice to a trusty Guinness. A pint of this was then drawn through before my pint was poured, but it was still undrinkable. Maybe there was a problem in the cellar as she was very friendly and it seemed as though she kind of knew what she was doing. Anyway, my experience left me somewhat disappointed and I do not plan on returning any time soon.

On 15th October 2011 - rating: 3

Pub SignMan left this review about Thorins

Branded as Thorins Bar and Restaurant, this looked as likely a place as any to find a decent meal on a Sunday evening in Tunbridge Wells. Split across two floors, we headed upstairs as the downstairs room appeared to be closed, or very quiet at best. The room was laid out in restaurant style but there were a few locals sat along the bar just enjoying a drink. The décor was a bit tired and dirty in places, but there was a nice fireplace opposite the bar and a roof terrace, which I didn't get the chance to explore.
There was Harvey's and Doom Bar on the pumps plus a standard range of lagers. The Harvey's had some sediment at the bottom which suggested that I was the first to have a pint that day (despite it being early evening).
Despite these misgivings, the food was very good. I had the roast lamb with all the trimmings, which was outstanding and a very generous portion for £10. My partner tried the Moroccan lamb with cous cous, which was fantastic as well. They were promoting themed nights such as 'moules night' and 'rib night' and there were blackboards advertising live music as well.
Not a bad place to try for a decent meal, but they would benefit from a bit of a tidy up and better care of their ales. Not really a place to visit just for the beer I'm afraid.

On 27th July 2010 - rating: 5

Pub Web Links

No known links relating to the pub.

Map location corrected by Steve C