Chat about -
Random news of the day with oldboots on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Saturday, 15th May 2010

Builders Arms

Pub added by Steve C
3 Albert Road
Barnet
EN4 9SH

Local Transport show 15 more transport points

hover over arrow to see distance from pub, click on arrow to find out more about stop

Bus Stop(, ) New Barnet Sainsbury's

Reviews of Builders Arms (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Aqualung . left this review about Builders Arms

Forty years ago I wrote a letter to Greene King brewery asking them where their nearest pub to London was. They came back to me with this place so I visited it. Younger readers will find this hard to believe, but this WAS the only Greene King pub in Greater London. Greene King beers (especially Abbot) were sought after and along with Ruddles had started to get into the limited free trade.
It struck me at the time that the pub was a conversion of a pair of semi-detached houses and today's visit confirmed that fact.
There is a small saloon bar at the front left and a larger proper public bar to the right with Pool and darts.
Visible from the saloon bar where I sat was a small kitchen producing Thai food lunches which were advertised at £5.00 a go. This seemed to be doing a brisk trade on my Friday lunchtime visit.
On the bar there were six pumps that included three GK beers, Abbot, IPA and London Glory. The three guests were Robinson's Trooper, St Austell Proper Job and Wolf Golden Jackal.
I had heard good reports about the Proper Job beer so went for it at £3.45 a pint. I don't know if my expectations were too high, but this seemed to be a straightforward hoppy pale beer rather than the hop bomb I was hoping for. To be fair to the pub I believe it was in good condition. It's nice to see a London pub with a proper publc bar even if it is converted houses rather than an original pub, but to me the Spoons round the corner had a more interesting beer selection and obviously was cheaper. If you don't like Spoons this is the one to go for. I was more disappointed with the St Austell beer than the pub.

On 9th March 2014 - rating: 7

Alesonly . left this review about Builders Arms

I only Nipped in here after walking out the spoons which had no Decent Ale on. Glad I did what a surprise to find a nice traditional old style Pub just around the corner looks nice even from outside. Inside its just as good tried several Ales which were on tap all were in excellent condition. I Found staff welcoming and other customers friendly service was good and quick. Will definitely come back when I've more time to enjoy it for a few pints.

On 13th September 2013 - rating: 7

Rex Rattus left this review about Builders Arms

When you walk towards the door of a Greene King pub one's expectations aren't high, but I was wrong about this one. Being GBG listed is perhaps an unusal achievement for a GK pub, but this one had on Hyde's Finest, Everard's Tiger and Hopback Crop Circle, as well as the GK trio of GKIPA, London Glory and Abbot. This is a decent selection and certainly merits GBG inclusion, as the Tiger I had was in excellent condition. I didn't see a menu, but they do Thai food, and the smell of ginger and garlic was very present in the bar.

This is a strange little pub. It looks like a house (or perhaps two houses) conversion. The main door is below street level, with a nicely tended front garden sloping down towards the building. The main room is quite small and is simply furnished with banquettes and standard issue tables and chairs. There’s a back room that I could see across the servery that contains a pool table and dartboard. I could hear music being played in the back room, but thankfully it wasn’t being playing in the front room where I was sitting. The front room has no TV either, although there may have been one in the back room.

I reckon this is a pub of two halves, with the back room for those interested in playing pool or darts, and the front room for those just wanting a quiet drink. I like that idea a lot. This is a rather nice little pub with a decent ale selection, and is definitely worth a visit if you’re anywhere nearby.

On 19th May 2013 - rating: 7

View more reviews of Builders Arms (6)

Pub Web Links

Map location corrected by Steve C
Pub location
Latest updates View all updates for Builders Arms, Barnet
9th Mar 2014, 09:08
Review submitted by Aqualung .

13th Sep 2013, 11:56
Review submitted by Alesonly .

• Accommodation : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • CAMRA Discount : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Child Friendly : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : Yes last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
  • Real Cider : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .
  • Wheelchair Access : No last updated 08 March 2014 by Aqualung .

Routes Maps & Locals