Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Wednesday, 9th June 2010
With picture contributions to 17677 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (5 more images)
Reviews of The Surprise (Average Rating: 5 of 10) see review guidelines
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Pub SignMan left this review about The Surprise
Located on the Upper Shirley Road, a short walk from Shirley windmill, this is a quaint little pub which offers an interesting counterpoint to the food-led 'Sandrock', which is just up the road.
The interior is a bit tattered and torn but retains much of its charm with lots of curved banquettes creating partitions and booths of sorts on one side of the L shaped bar. There are plenty of exposed beams which have been adorned with horse brasses on the walls and various jugs and pans hanging from those on the ceiling. There's a nice, bare-brick fireplace which was sadly not in use after I trudged through vast amounts of snow to get here. A plasma screen was on round the far side of the bar and was showing some sport, whilst there were also a couple of games machines silently flashing away.
Ales were somewhat limited choice-wise, with just London Pride (£2.80) available, although a Greene King IPA clip had been turned. The barmaid seemed nice enough and was prompt in serving me. The 'Surprise' mentioned in the pub's name came, for me, in the form of the bar counter which had a lot of old coins set into it. I thought this was quite a nice, retro feature which seemed to fit in with the pub's look.
I quite liked it here, although they would have benefited from a couple of extra ales, and can imagine making a return here, perhaps as a double header with the Sandrock. Worth a look if passing.
On 11th January 2011
- rating: 5
[User has posted 1541 recommendations about 1541 pubs]
No known official website for this pub.
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 09 October 2013 by Pub SignMan
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 09 October 2013 by Pub SignMan
- Beer Garden : Yes last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan
- Car Park : Yes last updated 09 October 2013 by Pub SignMan
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan
- Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 09 October 2013 by Pub SignMan
- Micropub : No last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan
- Pinball : No last updated 09 October 2013 by Pub SignMan
- Pool Table : No last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 11 January 2011 by David McNally
- WiFi : Yes last updated 21 June 2015 by Pub SignMan
Last inspected: March 28th 2014