Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Wednesday, 21st December 2011
With picture contributions to 17025 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (14 more images)
hover over arrow to see distance from pub, click on arrow to find out more about stop
Reviews of The Olde Trout Tavern (Average Rating: 8 of 10) see review guidelines
Danny O'Revey left this review about The Olde Trout Tavern
Stone flagged boozer on London Road with the emphasis on the 3 real ales & traditional food. Almost bistro like its a nice place for a pint of beer.
On 18th August 2014
- rating: 7
[User has posted 699 recommendations about 682 pubs]
Aqualung . left this review about The Olde Trout Tavern
The name of the pub could be a bit disingenuous as I'm pretty sure it was never an original pub but probably a shop conversion. Apparently the name is a reference to the landlady who despite the derogatory term agreed to go along with it. As can be seen from the pictures it was formerly Bar 56.
Inside it is a modern styled bar with a paved floor and I believe a restaurant / function room upstairs.
They have a genuine house beer brewed by George's / Hop Monster of Wakering called Trout Ale. Many of these "house" beers are just rebadged rubbish so it's good to see a proper one.
On my visit there were only two other beers on and a cider with one pump unclipped. The two beers were Theakston's Paradise and Brain's Final Whistle. I went for the Paradise (£3.25) which was in good nick but somewhat cold.
The owners used to run a place called the Cork and Cheese which if I remember correctly was an underground bar somewhere near Southend Victoria. There is a poster on one of the walls for the old venue. It is GBG 2014 listed.
On 10th May 2014
- rating: 7
[User has posted 471 recommendations about 454 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Arthur Holgate left this review about The Olde Trout Tavern
Since my last review of the Olde Trout Tavern I have consumed 3 glorious steaks as a bar meal, I have my steaks cooked rare and have not been disappointed.They are out of this world. Do not take my word for it try it for yourself, and do not forget that the real ale is always on tap and as well as the food is superb.
On 15th February 2012
- rating: 10
[User has posted 2 recommendations about 1 pubs]
View more reviews of The Olde Trout Tavern (4)
No known links relating to the pub.
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 24 November 2013 by john mcgraw
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 24 November 2013 by john mcgraw
- Beer Garden : No last updated 24 November 2013 by john mcgraw
- Car Park : No last updated 24 November 2013 by john mcgraw
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 15 February 2012 by hondo .
- Karaoke : No last updated 08 May 2014 by Aqualung .
- Live Music : No last updated 08 May 2014 by Aqualung .
- Pinball : No last updated 08 May 2014 by Aqualung .
- Pool Table : No last updated 08 May 2014 by Aqualung .
- Quiz Night : Yes last updated 08 May 2014 by Aqualung .
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 15 February 2012 by hondo .
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 24 November 2013 by john mcgraw
Last inspected: May 7th 2014