Beer of the Week (w/e 25th September 2016) with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

The General Havelock

27 Havelock Road
Hastings
TN34 1BP

Reviews of The General Havelock (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve C left this review about The General Havelock

Friday evening three weeks ago I happened to be in the immediate area when I noticed that the Havelock has become the General Havelock so I decided to pop in and see if it had improved since my 2011 visit when I gave it a rating of three. The rectangular open plan interior with worn decor remains, as do the upstairs gent’s toilet and downstairs lady’s toilet meaning that there are no disabled facilities. The disco and karaoke nights have been replaced by live music on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The old TV has gone and there are now board games and newspapers available.

The bar is stocked with standard keg products and the addition of two hand pumps brings the total to four. One of these was unused so the cask ale options were Arundel’s Pickled Mouse and Truman’s Runner whilst a cask cider offering of Old Rosie was also available. Standard pub food is available alongside a vast array of sandwiches, wraps and light bites. I found these to be very reasonably priced.

It is patently obvious that this pub is being run by new management and I am glad to report that it has much improved. Whilst I wouldn’t entertain the idea of staying all evening I would certainly have no problem popping in for another couple of pints.

-----------------------------------------------------------

22nd February 2011

The Havelock was empty apart from me and a couple of other blokes when I visited on Monday evening last week. That didn’t matter to the DJ though as he was cranking up the cheesy hits on his huge disco set up that takes up the rear of the pub. There is a disco on Friday and Saturday nights and every other night is karaoke, to be honest my idea of hell. The barmaid on duty was nice enough and the Guinness was passable, but the two hand pumps supported by the bar were both off. There is an advertised restaurant upstairs and the food seemed fairly priced, but I didn’t see anyone eating or eat myself so I don’t know how good it is. Like the Yates’s next door there is some café seating cordoned off from the pedestrianised street outside.

I will walk past next time I’m in the area.

On 19th February 2016 - rating: 6

Manky Badger left this review about The Havelock

A while back I posted here that the place had no ales on. If that's the kind of pub they want to run, that's fine by me. But the sign outside said they did cask ales.
The same sign is still there, and still all you can get is euro-fizz. No ale, so why claim that they do it?

20 April 2007
I rate pubs on many things, but one of the things I consider important is their selection of ales of the pump.
Today( April 20th 2007) tyhis plae had nothing on hand pump.

On 3rd March 2010 - rating: 1

Pub Web Links

No known official website for this pub.

Map location corrected by Steve C
Pub location
Latest updates View all updates for The General Havelock , Hastings
30th Aug 2016, 21:03
Picture submitted by peter ashworth approved

30th Aug 2016, 11:58
Picture submitted by peter ashworth

• Accommodation : No last updated 30 January 2016 by Steve C