Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Malden man
Submitted on Sunday, 29th March 2015
With picture contributions to 1260 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (17 more images)
Reviews of The Woolpack Inn (Average Rating: 7½ of 10) see review guidelines
Alex Conway left this review about The Woolpack Inn
A lovely little pub between a string of pubs in the area, probably the best of the bunch. After a short stint as being a Timothy Taylors tied house the Woolpack is now a genuine free house. Their beers are sourced from mainly local Yorkshire brewery's and they usually feature a Timothy taylors beer, more oftern than not its Boltmaker allong with 7 other hand pumps. On my visit they were getting rid of their beers to make way for new ones in time for the Tour de Yorkshire and were selling off their current lines at £2 per pint, usually i would say their beers are around the £3.20/30 Mark. i had a pint of great hecks dave and this was a very nice drink.
Inside the pub is quite small with a few booths and separate chairs and tables with one tv screen and a bar billairds table. A very nice place to sit and have a quiet drink, i was very happy having a drink here and would gladly return, the landlord was very friendly and welcoming and more than happy to chat about his beers and talk you through what to have.
On 15th December 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 158 recommendations about 158 pubs]
ROB Camra left this review about The Woolpack Inn
Another expansive desription from PSM saves me having to do one. Fiendly bar staff and a great range of ale in this fairly simply furnished and decorated pub. My pint was in excellent condition and I'll definitely call in again when in this part of York.
On 2nd September 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 2115 recommendations about 2062 pubs]
Pub SignMan left this review about The Woolpack Inn
Another fine ale house situated just outside the city walls, the Woolpack is a fairly basic single bar boozer. The carpeted room sees the servery running down the right hand side, with a dark wood and red tile counter and lovely stained glass canopy bearing the pub’s name, giving the space a bit of character. Curved banquette seating is available under the front windows, in a space decorated with artwork based on book covers and some Timothy Taylor posters. More banquette seating is available along the left hand wall, in the area opposite the bar, supplemented with a good number of low stools. A bar billiards table stands at the rear of the room, under which a couple of friendly lurchers (not whippets) were resting. The room has been decorated with a few framed gig tickets, some album covers and various posters promoting live sport, with a TV screen turned on during our visit and broadcasting a tennis match. A beer glass collection runs along a high shelf and there are a fair few pump clips on display as well. Music played quietly in the background throughout our stay and I also noticed various board games and beer guides with which to while away the hours.
A good Yorkshire based ale range comprised Taylors Landlord, Revolutions House of Fun Milk Stout, Great Newsome Hops in the Spring, Acorn Blonde and Roosters Yankee. The Milk Stout was very enjoyable and the bar staff were polite and patient, dealing with much dithering at the bar and then balancing precariously on a table in order to capture the perfect group photo for us pub crawlers.
I really liked the simple, unpretentious look and feel to this place and could quite easily imagine spending a good few hours in here working along the pumps. The basic presentation might not be to everyone’s taste but I felt very comfortable in here and hope to return some time soon.
On 27th May 2015
- rating: 8
[User has posted 1584 recommendations about 1584 pubs]
View more reviews of The Woolpack Inn (16)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Official site of Woolpack Inn - www.woolpackinnyork.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 26 April 2015 by Steve C
- Bar Billiards : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Beer Garden : No last updated 26 April 2015 by Steve C
- CAMRA Discount : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Car Park : No last updated 26 April 2015 by Steve C
- Child Friendly : No last updated 26 April 2015 by Steve C
- Darts : Yes last updated 07 August 2013 by hondo .
- Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Hot Food : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Karaoke : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Live Music : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Micropub : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Pinball : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Pool Table : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Quiz Night : Yes last updated 26 April 2015 by Steve C
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
- WiFi : No last updated 02 May 2015 by Quinno _
Last inspected: February 28th 2013