Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Thursday, 3rd September 2009
With picture contributions to 17718 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (24 more images)
Reviews of The Old Ivy House (Average Rating: 6½ of 10) see review guidelines
Tris C left this review about The Old Ivy House
Much as described below, this is quite a dark and gloomy place but quite dated with the bare brick and wagon wheels on the wall and barrels as tables; it's a bit Schooner Inn.
Sport played with the sound down, thankfully but I didn't take well to the overly loud music.
The landlord (American?) was very friendly and my pint of Bishops Finger was fine (I didn't clock the price).
I'd come here again but it's a far from being the best in EC1.
On 5th March 2016
- rating: 5
[User has posted 803 recommendations about 799 pubs]
moby duck left this review about The Old Ivy House
A very pleasant and cosy Sheps pub,four beers on from that stable and the Masterbrew was top notch.Well worth a visit.
On 15th November 2015
- rating: 7
[User has posted 562 recommendations about 553 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Rex Rattus left this review about The Old Ivy House
This is a nice old pub that's been largely modernised, although it has reverted to its original name after doing time as a Firkin pub. It's definitely moved a bit upmarket since the previous reviewer's visit. The walls are now entirely exposed brickwork, and the rustic look is reinforced by the three large waggonwheels decorating one of the walls. That's unusual, but nice enough I suppose. Other slightly odd decor includes a collection of vinyl records on the ceiling to the right of the bar counter. Seating is wrapped around a central horseshoe bar, with a couple of large barrells doing service as tall tables, with tall stools of course, but the vast majority of furnishing is normal tables and chairs. The tables all had litle floral displays on them, all having a drink from a wine glass. It's all quite comfortable and respectable in here, and although the pop music being played was reasonably good stuff, I would have had the volume down a couple of notches if it was up to me.
This is a Shepherd Neame house; the three ales they had on were Spitfire, Masterbrew, and Amber Ale, the latter being a sort of Winter ale at £1.85 a half. The menu looks reasonable, featuring several classic pub grub favourites; the steak & ale pie is £9.90; the fish n chips £9; plus they do an offer of the month for £8.50 - at the moment it's steakburger and chips with a pint (didn't specify what - hopefully something worth drinking).
The only thing that I didn't care for in this pub was the overly loud music. It's a bit quirky in places, but nevertheless I thought it well worth a visit. Mind you, I quite like Shep's beers.
On 16th January 2014
- rating: 6
[User has posted 2015 recommendations about 1956 pubs]
View more reviews of The Old Ivy House (4)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- The Old Ivy House page at the Shepherd Neame site - www.shepherdneame.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Beer Garden : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Car Park : No last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Darts : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Jukebox : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Karaoke : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Live Music : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Live TV Sports : Yes - BT Sport. - last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Micropub : No last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- Pinball : No last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Pool Table : No last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Quiz Night : No last updated 05 March 2016 by Tris C
- Real Ale : Yes - Shepherd Neame ales. - last updated 16 January 2014 by Rex Rattus
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
- WiFi : Yes last updated 29 February 2016 by Tris C
Last inspected: March 4th 2016