Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Tris C
Submitted on Sunday, 6th February 2011
With picture contributions to 2064 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (41 more images)
Reviews of The Angel Inn (Average Rating: 6 of 10) see review guidelines
Tris C left this review about The Angel Inn
I've only visited this pub once, and that was a good six years ago. A return visit and I'd forgotten just how big this pub is nor had I appreciated the 1930s' wood panelling. There's also parquet flooring; furniture is conventional and there was a TV, thankfully off. This is probably the most down to earth pub in N6, with a younger more local crowd and lots of loud banter.
Real cider was on offer in the form of Orchard Pig's Explorer, ales offered were Sharp's Doom Bar, St. Austell's Proper Job and Celt Experience's Otherworld at £2.10 a half and good.
This pub isn't too bad, but unfortunately there's really rather too much swearing to make the atmosphere in here pleasant enough to warrant a return visit and the other N6 pubs are better.
On 8th April 2016
- rating: 4
[User has posted 1004 recommendations about 996 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
john gray left this review about The Angel Inn
I liked this pub. Smart interior and more drinkers than eaters. Four cask beers on inc Hilden -no4 and Belhaven -black which were in good condition. Keg beers from Meantime and Camden. Relaxing pub and will revisit.
On 16th November 2013
- rating: 7
[User has posted 705 recommendations about 699 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Rex Rattus left this review about The Angel Inn
Four ales on during my visit on Friday lunchtime – GKIPA, Doom Bar, Broadside, and something called O Garden Pontypridd. The Doom Bar was at a reasonable price of £3 a pint, but everyone else ordering ale was going for the GKIPA – perhaps it was even cheaper. There were also numerous premium lagers available, such as Paulaner, Staropramen, Früli, Kuzel, Leffe Blonde, Erdinger, and Franziskaner. All the tables bore a single sheet menu, but it was fairly extensive nonetheless. Standard main courses are around the £8 - £9 mark, sandwiches around £4.50 - £5 with a portion of chips an extra £1.25. But it seems that the menu is not as extensive as I first thought – a group of ladies came in looking for some soup (no joy), and some foreign bird wanted some camomile tea – also no joy. Just what are pubs coming to these days not doing traditional pub staples like these, eh? But there was a chalkboard advertising some fixed price menus, as well as Sunday roasts.
Inside it’s a single room affair, with the bar counter facing the street, and with seating stretching to the back and left of it. Furnishings were mainly normal tables and chairs, but there were the inevitable couple of sofas lurking off to one side near a fireplace. The front of the bar counter was, unusually, painted sky blue (got to be better than the usual black), which will no doubt get a reaction from chums who support the Manchester clubs. But the pub has retained its wood panelled walls, which gives it something of a traditional look. Also, a large potted plant added to the drawing room look, but in contrast the glass panelling near the entrance was plastered with adverts, mostly for local events and activities. This is not the best pub in Highgate, but it is nowhere near being the worst either. I certainly wouldn’t mind patronising this pub again.
On 19th March 2011
- rating: 6
[User has posted 2141 recommendations about 2079 pubs]
View more reviews of The Angel Inn (4)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Official site of the Angel Inn, contains menu and drinks list - www.theangelhighgate.co.uk
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Bar Billiards : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Beer Garden : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- CAMRA Discount : No - Tappy Mondays, £1 off pints. - last updated 08 April 2016 by Tris C
- Car Park : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Darts : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Hot Food : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
- Jukebox : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Karaoke : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Live Music : Yes last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Live TV Sports : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Micropub : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Pinball : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Pool Table : No last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Quiz Night : Yes - Wednesdays 8.30 pm. - last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
- Real Cider : Yes last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- Wheelchair Access : Yes - Disabled WC. - last updated 31 March 2016 by Tris C
- WiFi : Yes last updated 08 April 2016 by Tris C
Last inspected: April 11th 2016