Random news of the day with trainman on the Pub Forum

Image posted by Alan Stobbs
Submitted on Monday, 20th May 2013

King William IV

816 High Road Leyton
E10
E10 6AE

Reviews of King William IV (Average Rating: of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Real Ale Ray left this review about King William IV

We popped in here on a Monday afternoon, so the pub was very quiet, this gave us a good opportunity to see how big this corner pub actually is. After choosing our beers, we decided to settle in the large rear lounge, which was bright and sunny thanks to the original Victorian glass roof gallery. There was a choice of 9 ales on our visit, with the majority of them being pale ales, so I went for the Brewers Gold Pale Ale, which hit the spot. Also tried and tasted, Brodies Bramling Cross and Minstrel Pale Ale. The barman was upbeat and up for a bit of laugh, which was also an added bonus on our visit.

On 18th February 2016 - rating: 8
[User has posted 1979 recommendations about 1979 pubs]

Aqualung . left this review about King William IV

Visits Dec 2015
Having made three recent visits and others previous to the last review things have been looking up. One of the ex Hopcraft brewers is doing the beer now and the Jamaican Stout, Superior Porter, Californian and Mocha Stout have been revived and a Black APA & Piccadilly bitter added. There are also occasional appearances on cask of the three main keykeg IPAs. There are usually half a dozen or more Brodie's beers on offer.
The sport and Saturday night music are a pain but the rear room makes for a refuge. The prices have increased a lot but are still reasonable for London.
Score upped to 8.

Visit May 2015

I returned here last Saturday to find nine Brodie's beers on and not a guest ale in sight. The Old Street and Jamaican Stout were very good so things seem to be looking up, this is what a brewery tap should be like. I'll be back again to have a look and have upped the score to 7 from 5 hoping it will increase again. The only down side was that there was a boring boxing match on the big screen but the back room was fine.

Visit June 2012

I visited last night to find what to me is a new brew on as well as the mighty 12% Romanov Stout. The new brew is Simcoe Pale and is another very pale beer with high bitterness. Sadly, after two of these and a Romanov Stout they both ran out.

Purely for comparison purposes I tried the Key Keg Romanov Stout (they now have 10 of these Key fonts).This was my first pint of a "Keg" beer since I gave up playing darts nearly 15 years ago. It certainly wasn't gassy and wasn't like the horrible "smooth" keg beers that came into fashion in the nineties. It seemed a bit sweeter than the hand pumped version, but that may have been either because it was a different batch or due to dry hopping which presumably can't be done with the Key Keg.

One of our party also tried the Key Hackney Red and Dalston Black which I had a taste of and they seemed fine.

So how does this system work? I believe (and I may be completely wrong here) that it's a bit like having a polypin of filtered beer that is squashed to force the beer out. I also believe that they are plastic rather than metal and thus are non-returnable, which given the cost of metal casks and kegs being stolen must be an advantage.

If the £3.20 price tag was nearer the £2.35 hand pumped price, then I would consider trying it again, but generally if there is something good on hand pump then I will always go for that.

Visit April 2012

I popped in here this afternoon for a few bevies and I have bad and good news to report.

The bad news is that the prices have gone up (what a surprise).

The good news is that there is now a blanket price of £2.35 for Brodie’s beers, which for the weaker ones compares well with Wetherspoons and for 5% ABV plus represents excellent value. Another salient point is that (certainly on this occasion) you don’t get served short measures.

I tried the Old Street IPA, the Hoxton Special IPA and the London Porter, all of which were crystal clear, fresh and in great condition. The beer lines in this pub are kept scrupulously clean, unlike many pubs I’ve been to. If the pipes are clean and there is a good turn around on the beers, then let’s face it, the beer is going to be good. Serving good beer is not rocket science, just a lot of hard work.

The Brodie’s landmark beer style seems to be extremely pale beers of various strengths with masses of hops, something that suits me down to the ground.

Anyone who drank Boddingtons bitter pre 1980 or Hop Back beers in the mid to late 80s will get the picture. The Old Street and Hoxton were excellent examples of this beer style.

There were 7 Brodie’s and 5 guests on offer. The guests consisted of 3 Rudgates and 2 Skinners, all around the 3.5% to 4.5% mark. They all seemed a bit familiar and to be honest a bit boring. I would rather try the lower ABV Brodie’s that I never seem to get around to than these.

I repeat what I said before, why this place isn’t GBG listed escapes me completely.

On 2nd January 2016 - rating: 8

Bucking Fastard left this review about King William IV

Having read the mixed reviews below,I entered this fine Victorian building with some trepidation but was pleased to see a decent selection of Brodies ales available from the most unusually shaped serving bar with it's double headed arrangement.The choice was from Brodies Old Street Porter,Shoreditch Sunshine,London Fields Pale and a very decent Bethnal Green Bitter.Three guests in Wychwood Imperial Red,Charles Wells DNA and Robinsons Mojo which wouldnt offer much competition to the far superior house beers.Maybe the pub just needs to remove the excess handpumps,as they do give a poor impression.
The interior is quite grand with the high ceiling ,a decent fireplace sadly with only a coal effect fire,an impressive Truman mirror above and the unusual bar.The rear lounge is large with it's own fireplace and lots of seating.
It feels like a proper boozer with a darts board and bar billiards ,and on my visit the vast drop down screen was ready for the rugby later in the day.
With that range of Brodies produce ,I would certainly call again to sample their wares and it makes a good double header with The Drum if your looking for a decent pint.

On 23rd March 2015 - rating: 7

View more reviews of King William IV (16)
This pub features in the following crawls:
2 fests and the rest by train man

18th Feb 2016, 13:29
Review submitted by Real Ale Ray amended by Real Ale Ray

18th Feb 2016, 12:35
Review submitted by Real Ale Ray

• Accommodation : Yes last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Bar Billiards : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Festivals : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Beer Garden : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Car Park : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Darts : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Hot Food : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Jukebox : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Live Music : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Live TV Sports : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Pinball : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Pool Table : No last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Real Ale : Yes last updated 17 July 2013 by Aqualung .
  • Real Cider : No - They have done it in the past - last updated 07 August 2013 by Aqualung .
Food Hygiene Rating