Pub Of The Month - August 2015 with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

Image posted by john mcgraw
Submitted on Wednesday, 19th May 2010

The Shepherd & Crook Inn

Shear Way
Burmarsh
Postal town: Romney Marsh
TN29 0JJ

Reviews of The Shepherd & Crook Inn (Average Rating: 8 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Nick Davies left this review about The Shepherd & Crook Inn

We were led here by TomTom - I've got the CAMRA PoI file and picked this one as a lunchtime stop on the way down to the ferry. Always a going to be a lucky dip without a description but all the more fun for that.

It's one of those little museum pieces. A glance through to the kitchen and a visit to the loos reveals that everything is kept clean, tidy and up to date, but of course the main room has changed little since the 50s, and it's worth a visit just for that, though we should indeed gloss over the signed photo of Enoch Powell (oops I've said it).

Adnam's and Arundel on the handpumps. Driving so I had the Admans which was fine,and the sandwiches we had were pub-traditional, perfect for what we wanted.

I think I was the youngest person present for a while, and I'm 50. Pubs like this are vanishing all the time because both the customers and the people willing to run them are dying out. It's a great shame but times do change. Catch it while you can.

On 19th October 2008 - rating: 8

Pub Web Links

No known official website for this pub.

Map location is best guess
Pub location