Not already a member?
Join our community and - Rate & review pubs - Upload pictures - Add events JOIN for free NOW
Image posted by Blackthorn _
Submitted on Monday, 9th September 2013
With picture contributions to 3101 other pubs
View all this pub's pictures (9 more images)
Reviews of The Bell (Average Rating: 7 of 10) see review guidelines
Real Ale Ray left this review about The Bell
A large friendly pub with a good range of ales across eight pulls on our visit. The staff were friendly and welcoming and had a nice laidback approach. They were also downloading some good music, which was been played on our Friday afternoon visit. We went for the RCH Pitchfork, which was in decent condition. The right hand side of the pub was quite traditional in style, where as the larger area was less elaborate and served its purpose as a live music and DJ venue.
On 17th October 2016
- rating: 8
[User has posted 2088 recommendations about 2088 pubs]
Bucking Fastard left this review about The Bell
ORIGINAL REVIEW June 2011
A bohemian atmosphere with an emphasis on music but with the widest selection of ale on my crawl.The stage area to the left of the entrance does look odd when occupied by tables and chairs and as this is the route back from the gents to the bar ,some caution needs to be exercised.The interior is basic,with a mixing desk in one alcove and table football in another while there is a good sized benched garden out the back.
Nine handpumps were offering,among others Bath Ales Gem,Stonehenge Danish Dynamite,RCH Pitchfork,Summer Lightening,and brews from Cotleigh and Otter Ale with a helpful chalkboard listing.
Beer quality very good ,a pub to include on a crawl but not a noteable interior.
Another very good real ale line up,with ever reliable Hop Back Summer Lightening seemingly a regular ,and an excellent BBF Independence leading to an upgrade from me,not to be missed on any real ale crawl around town.
On 11th July 2016
- rating: 8
[User has posted 1469 recommendations about 1469 pubs]
Please Note: This review is over a year old.
Rex Rattus left this review about The Bell
This is something of a Bath real ale Mecca, having no less than nine real ales on – five on handpump and four on stillage. All seemed to be on some sort of special deal (I didn’t quite figure out the details) but the Abbey Ales Bellringer was £2.40 a pint and I like that very much – both the ale and the price. This is a very interesting pub – quirky one might say – with the beams festooned with wreaths of hops, interesting décor such as maps and the like on the walls, and furnished with only normal tables and chairs. Music is clearly big business here, with a dedicated stage on the left. I saw adverts for forthcoming attractions, such as Mark Morris – Bluetones front man apparently.
As the weather was very hot during my visit we spent our visit in the garden at the back of the pub. This is a well cared for garden, with plenty of bench seating, and lots of very interesting foliage about which I won’t go into details. This is a cracking little pub that should definitely be on the itinerary of anyone wanting to visit Bath’s best pubs.
On 30th July 2014
- rating: 8
[User has posted 2163 recommendations about 2101 pubs]
View more reviews of The Bell (14)
Pubs Galore is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
- Official site of the Bell, includes real ale details and events listing - www.walcotstreet.com
Pub details supplied by members of this site to the best of their knowledge. Please check with pub directly before making a special trip.
- Accommodation : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Bar Billiards : Yes last updated 21 November 2010 by David McNally
- CAMRA Discount : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Car Park : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Darts : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Dog Friendly : Yes last updated 18 October 2010 by hondo .
- Function Room : Yes - According to Twitter - last updated 21 July 2015 by Dave McNally
- Live Music : Yes last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Live TV Sports : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Micropub : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pinball : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Pool Table : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Real Ale : Yes last updated 29 July 2013 by Dave McNally
- Real Cider : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde
- Wheelchair Access : No last updated 12 March 2016 by Jonathan Wilde