Chat about -
BBC2: Alexis Polizzi 'The Fixer' and Hunter's Microbrewery. with Aqualung on the Pub Forum

The Malt Shovel

15 Cockburn Street
Edinburgh
EH1 1BP

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

hondo . left this review about The Malt Shovel

A Taylor Walker pub located down from the royal mile and close to Edinburgh Waverley train station. 5 real ales and food served. The pub has a split level interior.

On 8th July 2014 - no rating submitted

ROB Camra left this review about The Malt Shovel

This used to be one of my regular stopping off points on my way to the old town. It's a split level pub that's beginning to look a bit shabby in places. No really outstanding features although they do have live music occasionally. The food is similar to a Nicholson's and is reasonably priced if a bit generic. They used to have a great range of ales on the bar, but on our latest visit there were only 3. The pint of Stewart that I had was in decent condition and the other half said the red wine was OK without being top class. It's still OK for a short visit but I once spent a whole 2nd January in here drinking Broughton Oatmeal Stout and I don't think I'd want to do that now.

On 13th January 2012 - rating: 6