Beer of the Week (w/e 23rd April 2017) with Real Ale Ray on the Pub Forum

SW18 1TB
Phone: 02088709667

Reviews (Current Rating Average: 6 of 10) Add Review see review guidelines

Steve of N21 left this review about The Ship

I did find a very busy pub, well from the point of view of the outside section at least, and the large external decking area was rammed with the after work crowd and the outside bar that serves this area was several deep.
Fortunately this left the two internal rooms considerably less busy, especially the front one, and I got served without problem before joining the suits outside.
Have always visited on fine weather days when the main asset of this pub (the outside space by the river) can be fully utilised and I do wonder what it would be like in deepest winter when it cannot as I would agree with the previous comments that, with the exception of the small front room, the rest of the internal space is lacking in character and doesn’t have a lot going for it.
The same three ales in the form of Youngs Special and Bitter and Sambrook’s Wandle were available across the five pumps. So the same beer offerings as available in the Youngs owned Waterfront further along the Thames path despite its shortcomings I will always prefer to supp a pint here than the sterile glass palace along the river.

On 17th August 2014 - rating: 6

Pub SignMan left this review about The Ship

With its prime riverside location, I was expecting to find a very busy pub when I popped in on a recent Saturday afternoon, but upon entering through the side door, my first impression was that the place was closed. The pleasant looking bar was completely empty and I had to exit the building and re-enter through the rear door into a conservatory style room with a few big tables and a wood burner in the middle, which was still fairly empty, but at least had staff behind the bar.
The beer choice was Young's Ordinary, Special and London Gold plus Sambrook's Wandle and Junction (the latter priced at an eye watering £3.45 a pint). My pint of Junction was okay, although not as nice as others sampled in the area that day. The room was a little scruffy and unappealing (especially compared to the cosier looking empty room in the other bar), so I decided to sit outside, passing a barbecue area which was doing a roaring trade, on my way.
There is a very large decked area running all the way to the riverside with lots of benches and even an outdoor bar. The views were a bit of a disappointment, with little in the way of interest visible from this part of the river, whilst a large cement works tower dominates the vista in the opposite direction. There were stacks of people sat out there, despite the overcast weather, most of whom were enjoying bottles of wine and food from the aforementioned barbecue. There was a regular menu as well, which I considered ordering from, but as with the drinks, the prices were excessive so I gave it a miss. A separate room in the pub seemed to have been set aside purely for diners, although the décor was again not the nicest and I'm not sure I'd fancy eating in there.
I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I disliked about this pub, but it didn't really do it for me and I was quite happy to finish my pint and look for somewhere else to spend my time.

On 24th September 2010 - rating: 5

Just a quick pint, then I'm off left this review about The Ship

Although not particularly obviously branded as such, this Young's pub has the benefit of a good spot by the Thames although it is somwhat hidden away around the back of a bus station. Inside, the refurbished wooden interior is OK but seems to lack warmth. Excellent pint of 'Ordinary'.

On 30th October 2009 - rating: 7

Malden man left this review about The Ship Inn

This is a large riverside two bar pub, with a dining room off the rear area. The front bar is fairly traditional, and the rear area is a conservatory type space, with sanded wooden floors (albeit with a seriously tatty old central carpet), there are a variety of chair and table types and arrangements. Outside on the river there is an extensive terrace with a barbeque going and a skiffle type band playing this afternoon.
I'm sure the pub plays to its strengths and attracts the custom of the new locals in their riverside apartments, and in that I have to say it seems to do it well. The terrace was packed, the barbie doing a roaring trade.
It certainly isn't my kind of pub though. To me it would be worthy of a 6 at best but the clientele lose it a further mark, being yuppie sorts, buggie pushing Henrietta's and the type who approach the bar and demand loudly and with arrogance.
Youngs standard range of Ordinary, Special and Waggledance, plus Bombardier and Deuchars IPA. The Deuchers went as the barman pulled it through and in fairness he offered an alternative immediately. I did notice however the clip wasn't turned around.
Very overrated.

On 23rd May 2009 - rating: 5

Rex Rattus left this review about The Ship Inn

I dropped in here for a midday pint of Young’s Special, which was just fine. Only a handful of people were in on a Monday lunchtime, so I got served straight away. It looked pretty food-centric, but the BBQ menu looked good, if a little expensive. I didn’t eat there, but I have heard good reports about the food so I shall return sometime soon and give it a try. There’s plenty of seating inside and outside, and with a great location overlooking the river I can well understand why it is so popular.
In my view this is a good pub, but not a great one. But good pubs are worth seeking out, and I would say that this one is worth the effort of finding your way to.

On 4th August 2008 - rating: 6

Philip Carter left this review about The Ship Inn

Nice pub facing the Thames. Large front garden with a raised terraced area. Sells real ale. On the downside, there is a cement works right next door.

On 5th January 2008 - rating: 6